Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Blueberry Gems with Custard Sauce

Oh, they are gems indeed! And the sauce! Oh my! You'll go crazy for this sauce! (I know I'm using a lot of exclamation marks here, but when you make these you will see why.) Ladies, haven't you heard the saying that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach? Well, search for a recipe no further. This one has you covered. If you aren't already married, he'll be proposing. I really feel like breaking out my best Southern accent and tellin' y'all how amazing these are in Paula Deen tradition. Oh, yes! She would love to have this recipe, for sure!

I serve this for breakfast, but it would easily be an elegant dessert. My friend, Mary, gave me the recipe. She shared with me that she would make this on summer nights, and feed it to her children for supper. Oh, you are going to L.O.V.E. this!

Every time I asked Mary for a recipe, she willingly gave it to me. But, the recipes were always very cryptic. It was really rather funny. I was twenty-three and had been married a short five years. She would make something wonderful, and invite me over to try it. When I asked her for the recipe , she would give it to me, but she would leave off how long to bake it, or the exact measurements. I think it was a test. Oh, but she looked pleased when I took her over the finished product. Sort of a "Well done" look. She even gave me the highest compliment and told me that my cooking was as good as hers. Success!

I've figured out the kinks and I'll give you the recipe in better terms.

Blueberry Gems

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. Crisco shortening
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups + flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. milk
2 c. berries, washed and drained

Okay, yes, the 2 cups+ of flour is just one of the cryptic things in this recipe. Don't worry, I have you covered.

In a large bowl, combine the sugar, Crisco, and eggs. Cream all. In a small bowl, combine the 2 cups of flour with the baking powder, nutmeg, and salt.Add the dry ingredients, alternately with the milk, mixing well after each addition.

Sprinkle a few Tbls. of flour over the drained berries,(That's the +).Mix well to coat them. Gently fold the berries into the batter.

Grease muffin tins, and fill each 2/3 full. Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes. Maybe a little longer. These don't get really brown, so check them with a toothpick or a cake tester. (Mary didn't state how long to bake them, I had to figure that out!)

Okay, while your muffins are in the oven, it's time to make the Custard Sauce. This was cryptic, too. She listed the ingredients, but didn't give any directions. Here goes:


Custard Sauce for Blueberry Gems

2 c. milk
1/2 c. sugar
dash salt
2 egg yolks
Thicken with cornstarch

Combine milk, salt, and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly so as not to scald the milk.

Whisk the egg yolks together in a separate dish. After the milk is hot, slowly add a little milk to the egg mixture, and whisk well. Continue adding the hot milk a little at a time to the eggs, whisking after each addition. This ensures that the eggs don't scramble!

After you've added about a half cup of milk to the eggs, start adding the egg mixture back into the saucepan. Keep whisking. Now is the time to add the cornstarch. Start with about 2 tsp. and whisk. This sauce isn't supposed to be really thick, but about the consistency of gravy.

Serve the sauce over the hot muffins and be prepared for loads of compliments!

Verne had mentioned these about a month ago. I made them yesterday morning as a surprise for him. He was surprised all right. I could see the love in his eyes! I love to do that. I act all casual when he mentions a dish that he'd like me to make, and then just when I think that he's forgotten that he asked me, I surprise him with it. He likes it , too! ;0)

No comments: