Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Boerenkool (Farmer's Kale)

My friend Darlene recently brought this old-fashioned Dutch dish to a church fellowship meal and I immediately fell in love with it. I asked her for the recipe, and she informed me that there wasn't one. However, she did give me a run down of the ingredients, and the basic "how-to".

I recently made it, but couldn't remember the name of it for the life of me. Here it is. With the name!

Several pounds of potatoes, peeled and diced
Large bunch of kale, chopped
1 lb. bacon
1 lb. kielbasa or Polish sausage
1 large onion, peeled and diced



Peel potatoes and cover them with water. Bring to a boil. Cook until tender. Alongside the potatoes, cover a huge bunch of chopped kale with water in a separate pot. Bring to a boil, drain; cover with water again, and cook until tender. (This prevents the kale from being bitter.)

In the meantime:
Saute 1 lb. bacon, save the drippings.
Saute the onion in the bacon drippings.
Slice 1 lb. kielbasa or Polish sausage into 1/4 inch slices. Fry in bacon grease along with onion.

When potatoes and kale are tender, drain them both and combine them. Drizzle bacon grease in and mash well. Crumble bacon and kielbasa into potato/kale mixture and stir well.

Serve very hot with a drizzle of vinegar, if desired.(It's very good this way!) Some also like gravy poured over their portion.



No comments: