Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Shortbread Cookies

1 stick butter, softened
1 stick Land O' Lakes margarine, softened
1/2 c + 2 T sugar
2 1/2 c all purpose flour

Cream butter, margarine and sugar. Add flour and mix well. Mixture will be crumbly.

Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill well.

Preheat oven to 325 F. On a floured surface ( I use part powdered sugar so as not to make the dough tough), roll dough out to 1/8" thick. Cut shapes.

Place cookies on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for about 7 minutes, sprinkle with granulated sugar and return to oven for anther 6-7 minutes. Cookies should be very lightly brown.

These are fragile, so handle them with care when removing from baking sheets and packaging them.


4 comments:

Beth said...

These look yummy! Where did you get the music note cookie cutter? My daughter will have her senior vocal recital this winter before graduating as a music major this spring. We are planning to have a cookies and crumbs reception for her at the college. This recipe would be fabulous for that since we have to travel 3 hours to get to the school.

Terri said...

These look so good, Tracy. I love shortbread!

Beth said...

Thanks Tracy for answering my question. I'm going to order them tomorrow!

Katie @ Frugal Femina said...

I used butter straight from the fridge the first time, and it didn't work out so well for me. Right in the garbage can! I used room temperature butter the second time, and MUCH BETTER!!!! :-) Just thought I'd share my little mistake for the benefit of others. :-)