Thursday, April 30, 2009

Vanilla Yogurt

Jan, a reader, emailed to ask me why this recipe wasn't on Mama's Fixins. Did I prefer the first recipe, or this one that I had posted at Unless the Lord. THIS is the one that I make several times a week for my own family. The other yogurt recipe is great, too, but my family prefers the sweeter, vanilla version. You could still make this version minus the sugar and vanilla to make it plain if you like.

Vanilla Yogurt

8 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 packet unflavored gelatin
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/2 c plain yogurt

Preheat the crockpot on high. On the stovetop, combine milk, heavy cream, sugar, gelatin and vanilla in a large pot. Bring to 200 F, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Place pot in a sink filled with ice water, stir constantly until milk mixture is 115 F. Spoon out 2 cups, and whisk in plain yogurt. Add all to crockpot, unplug, and cover with bath towels for insulation. Let sit for 8 hours. Uncover and refrigerate.



No comments: