Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Grandma Schilling's Spaghetti Sauce

I really debated about whether or not to share this recipe. It's been in my family for many years. Grandma, my mom, my aunts, cousins, my brother, and I all make this very same sauce. The funny thing is, even though we all follow it to the letter, each person's tastes just a little bit different. Enjoy!

1 medium onion, diced
2 -3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
olive oil
2 (18 oz) cans tomato paste + 1 can of water to each
1 (29 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (29 oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 Tbls. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 Tbls. oregano

Saute onion and garlic in a small amount of olive oil, until very tender.



In the meantime, make the meatballs.



Combine the tomato paste, water, sauce, and crushed tomatoes in a large roasting pan. Add salt, pepper, and oregano. Whisk well, making sure that everything is incorporated.


Add sauteed garlic, and onion mixture to the sauce. Mix well.




Place meatballs on top of sauce.


Gently push them down until just covered with sauce.




Cover the roasting pan, and bake at 300 F for 3 -4 hours.



*I always double the meatball recipe. This freezes well for further meals. If you have a small family, you may get 4 -5 meals from this recipe. We get at least 3 meals for our crew of seven!


*Instead of meatballs, you might want to try adding Italian sweet or hot sausage to the sauce before baking. No need to cook the sausage first. You could also add a pork roast directly into the sauce. That's my mother's favorite way to make this. When the sauce is done, the roast is perfect!

6 comments:

Momma Roar said...

I'm excited that you posted this - I just don't have my own sauce recipe so this is wonderful. I am getting tired of using sauce from a jar! Thank you!

Joyfull said...

I made lasagna this morning and was wishing I had a sauce recipe. This looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.

candy said...

Thank you for sharing! I need a name for your sauce.
I have saved it in my computer...but what may I call it?
- Tracy's Spaghetti sauce?
- Mama's Fixins Spaghetti Sauce?
If you have another name for me, I would love it. I love to honor other peoples recipes by including their name in the recipe title.

Though my fmaily wont know you, they will know "Tracy's Spaghetti Sauce" or whatever name I use for it :) You will be a legend in my family now becuase we love spaghetti and needed a sauce recipe!!

Much thanks,
Candy :)

Tracy said...

Candy,
Thanks so much for asking. I renamed it, for my grandma who lives with us. It's her recipe, and she really makes it the best! Enjoy!

candy said...

Awesome, Thanks :)
Cant wait to try Grandma Schilling's Spaghetti Sauce :) Rocko will be asking me "who is my Grandma Schilling?" LOL :)

Christy said...

My husband is jealous of your husband LOL

Just kidding.

this looks so good and Clay LOVES homemade spaghetti sauce. I am making this for our date night!