Saturday, March 27, 2010

Flour Tortillas


I found this recipe at my dear friend jAne's blog.

2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tsp. vegetable oil
3/4 c. warm milk

Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Warm the milk and add the vegetable oil; pour over the flour mixture and stir well until mixture is a loose sticky ball. (This CAN be done in a stand mixer, if you prefer.) Place plastic wrap over the bowl, and let it stand for 20 minutes.

Divide dough into 8 sections (or more for smaller tortillas) and roll them into balls. Place on a
large plate so that none of the balls are touching, and cover with plastic wrap. Let the em rest for 10 minutes.

Take one ball at a time, careful to keep the others covered, and pat it into a 4 inch circle. Roll, on a floured board, until dough is paper thin.

Keep rolled out tortillas covered until ready to cook. ( I had my large griddle heated, and cooked two tortillas as I was rolling two more.) In a dry skillet, heated on high, cook each tortilla about 30 seconds on each side. They should start to bubble and turn brown in a few spots.

Keep tortillas covered, wrapped in a napkin or foil until ready to eat. (I kept my oven on warm, and placed them on the my pizza stone until they were all done.)



No comments: