Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Potato Soup

I remember the first time that I had this. I was pregnant with Autumn, and Mac was ten months old. I was dealing with a few health issues at the beginning of the pregnancy, and my grandma came to stay with us. She had to take care of Mac, as I was not allowed to lift him. She did all of the laundry, as the washer and dryer were in the basement, and I wasn't allowed to do stairs. AND, she did all of the cooking. What a blessing she was to our young family. One night, Grandma made this soup for dinner. Mac ate three bowls, little as he was. I had to have the recipe. It's still one of his favorites fifteen years later!

Potato Soup

4 c. diced potatoes
1 onion, chopped
4-5 ribs of celery, with leaves, left whole
water to cover
6 Tbls. butter
7 Tbls. flour
1 Tbls. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 c. milk

Place diced potatoes, onion and celery in a large pot. Barely cover with water. Bring to a boil, and cook until potatoes are tender. DO NOT DRAIN. Discard celery. Mash potatoes in the pot. Add butter, flour, salt,and pepper. Mix well, using electric beaters. Add milk, mix well, and serve immediately. I double this recipe for our large family.

No comments: