Sunday, February 10, 2008

Rolled Sugar Cookies

This recipe is a family favorite, coming from my dad's mom. Beware! It makes a ton of cookies, but they freeze well. We never freeze them, as the disappear too quickly! They are wonderful iced, or left plain. Especially for very young children.

4 eggs
4 c. sugar
3 c. shortening
2 c. buttermilk
2 tsp. baking soda
3 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
5 lbs. flour

Cream shortening, sugar and eggs. Add dry ingredients and buttermilk alternately. Mix well. At the end, you'll have to get your hands in there. THIS IS A LOT OF BATTER!

Roll cookies out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness. Bake at 400 F for 8-10 minutes.

Ice with Buttercream or Quick -Pour Fondant Icing


1 comment:

Karen said...

What beautiful cookies, Tracy! I've been thinking about what to make this week. Last year, for the office, I made two kinds of cut-out cookies--one white sugar kind and one that had maraschino cherries added to the dough to give it a cherry taste and make it pink. Then I sprinkled pink sugar on the plain ones and dipped half of each cherry cookie into melted chocolate for a two-toned heart effect. They were wonderful, but I'm thinking that I need to do something faster and easier this year...I just love to make Valentine's Day a time to celebrate family and friends, as well as my Sweetheart! Thank you for inspiring me today!